– There are over 7 million timeshare owners worldwide, and the United States claims over 30%
– 97% of timeshare owners answered saying timeshare resorts are as just as good or better than hotels, especially considering long term costs
– Timeshares sales add nearly 10 billion dollars to the global travel market each year
– Vacation ownership resorts provide year-round employment to help grow local economies
– 30,000 timeshare owners where surveyed, which yielded 7 out of 10 timeshare recommendations from owners
– When surveyed, 96% timeshare owners say that timeshares are an easier and superior experience to finding and paying for hotels
– On average, a timeshare owner takes 2 vacations annually, non-timeshare owners average less than 1 per year in the US
– On average, timeshare owners own 1.51 weeks (or separate ownerships), meaning it’s relatively common to buy another timeshare after the initial purchase
– 80% of all timeshare units are filled at any given moment
– Timeshare resort clubs can be found in over 100 countries across the globe
– There are approximately 6,500 timeshares worldwide. The United States claims over 30% of all owners.
View the Department of Economic and Social Affairs’ Global Timeshare Tourism Statistics as of 2005 in PDF format.
Charts source: UNITED NATIONS – DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL AFFAIRS – STATISTICS DIVISION